Lately my Samsung Focus has been giving me a lot of trouble. Specifically, when I connect it to my PC, the Zune client reports that it’s not connected. This means I can’t sync the phone. Worse, I can’t load apps onto it from Visual Studio for testing.
After scouring the Web for solutions, I came across a forum post that worked for me and evidently worked for a lot of others, too. If your Zune client says your phone isn’t connected when it really is, try this:
- Open the Windows Certification Manager on your PC. (An easy way to do it is to click the Start button and type certmgr.msc into the search box.)
- In the left pane of the Certificate Manager window, expand the item named Personal.
- Under Personal, click Certificates to show the personal certificates stored on your machine.
- In the right pane, find the certificate (or certificates) issued by “zune-tuner://windowsphone/…”, as shown below.
- Delete those certificates.
Now restart the Zune client and connect your Windows phone. With a little luck, you’ll be back in business.